Thursday, July 30, 2009

Our Photographer

After looking at a TON of photographers online, Mr. Riley and I narrowed it down to about ten that were located in a two hour radius of the wedding location and that we could afford. After that I started calling around, of the ten, three were available for our day. The first appointment I made was to meet Brian Lusby of Brian Lusby Photography.

My mom and I drove two hours to meet him at his studio, which is out of his home. After almost two hours of gabbing about everything I was in love.... not with Brian, although he is pretty handsome, but with his amazing photographs. He got me, got my ideas, and focuses on the format that both Mr. Riley and I enjoy, photojournalistic. I hate looking through a wedding album and seeing tons of the same pictures you saw in the last wedding album you looked at... the bride and groom under the brides veil, the bride seated looking up serenely, the groomsmen all holding the bride up on her side, etc.... I wanted REAL photos. Someone to truly capture the moment. Not someone to pose us all to look like we are having the moments you are "supposed" to have on your wedding day. I wanted to see those things people secretly do when they think no one is looking.... like the ring bearer asleep on the pew because it was past his nap time, the groomsmen goofing off while getting ready, the anticipation and angst and joy in our parents face. All of it.

But I couldn't very well book Brian right then, I hadn't even looked at the others. After a few weeks of procrastination I set up an appointment with one of the other available photographers. I went to their studio and although they were very nice we just didn't click. All of their photography examples were very outdated and pretty posed. Plus their prices were OUTRAGEOUS, like triple everyone else we had looked at.

Once I left that appointment I just knew. Before I even got to my car I was dialing Brian to get a contract and deposit in the mail and I couldn't be happier with our decision (well mine... sorry Mr. Riley) even though I didn't even get to the third photographer.

It did help that Brian shot Chris Cooley's wedding (TE for the Washington Redskins) and Mr. Riley and I are HUGE Redskins fans. So I'm sure there will be a ton of questions for Brian in regards to Chris and probably a rousing rendition of "Hail to the Redskins". So for those of you who don't know the words, start learning...

"Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!
Run or pass and score -- we want a lot more!
Beat 'em, Swamp 'em,
Touchdown! -- Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on 'Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

No comments:

Post a Comment